Sunday, April 20, 2008

Sunday monocopter activity

Art Applewhite had been busy making monocopters. I previously posted the video of his 13mm, Popsicle stick monocopter and I hear he has 18mm and 24mm versions. His 29mm design needs more work, which means the prototype rekitted itself. I feel his pain - my 29mm Quetzacoatl disintegrated spectacularly on a G20.

I also see other people have built 18mm monocopters, along the lines of Art's Popsicle version, using tongue depressors (I don't know/remember what Art's 18mm uses). I got motivated to try an el-cheapo monocopter but had no tongue depressors on hand. What I did have is two wooden paint stirrers and a few Popsicle sticks. This is what I came up with, the Grizzly Behr monocopter.


The paint stirrers are probably not the most efficient material, but the point was to build out of junk. Thus far, I haven't had any problem getting monocopters to fly properly. Where my designs have fallen short is they have either been overbuilt (i.e., heavy, with poor performance) or under built (shredded). We'll see how this works out next month