Tuesday, March 19, 2013

What's new here (and in the rest of the blogaverse)

It appears that Google will be shutting down their Reader service on July 1st.  That is bad news for me - I follow 126 news feeds on a daily basis. I'm also afraid that Reader is the engine behind the blog list here on the Dungeon. There is some light at the end of the tunnel as there are other RSS aggregators. One option,  Feedly, says they will have transition tools in place by then.

This news made be go back and look at my subscriptions. It should have been no surprise that many of them hadn't been updated for some time. But it was. I culled them way down to the number noted above. I also updated the sport rocketry blog list here and threw in a few of my other favorites. So, please take a moment to see what is there (in the sidebar).

One of my stale subscriptions was Beyond Apollo, which is focused on post-Apollo space history. I found the blog is still in existence but had moved: Wired Science Blogs/Beyond Apollo. Here is a tease from the latest entry:

M2-F2 (left) followed by F-104 chase plane, 16 November 1966. Image: NASA