Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Welcoming in 2013!

First off, I wish all my readers, followers and fellow bloggers a healthy and prosperous 2013! Like the budget negotiations, the Dungeon may have fallen off a cliff...but it hasn't hit bottom yet! So, prompted by blogging buddies Verna and Randy, I offer my first post of the new year.

Verna is trying to help fellow rocketeer, Pete Barrett, get a few orders for his 2013 rocket calendar (to get one, contact him at pete--at--hartrockets.co.uk). From what I see on Verna's Photo of the Month, the photos in the calendar are really good. 

The Original Rocket Babe was good enough to provide a few photos and I can't resist a leather mini-skirt, so......
Verna posing with da' calendar.

Workin' on da' blog.

Borrowed calendar photo of the Missile for Peace launching on a cluster of 3 K440 White Thunder motors (with some supporting pyro for an extra WOW effect).
Once I'm posting, I'll add a few items that I would have individually posted about if I wasn't in silent mode.

On December 26th, Gerry Anderson passed away due to complications from Alzheimer's Disease. Gerry is probably best remembered for the live action TV show Space: 1999 and for Fireball XL-5, Thunderbirds, and UFO, which were done in 'supermarionation'. The spaceship designs he created are, in my opinion, some of the best ever. Local rocketeers and my blog followers certainly know that the Fireball XL-5 is one of my all-time favorites!


On the same day, fellow blogger R2K reported on a new blog that he had recently run across - Monster Machine (mostly in German). While R2K is most interested in the posts on pure fusion explosions, my interests overlapped his in the post on Flying Platforms.


This post discusses the history of Project Orion (another of my favorite blogging subjects) and imagines a future where large platforms are launched using pure nuclear, pulsed detonations. I didn't know much about the subject of pure nuclear detonations (and still don't) but it appears they are fusion reactions that are initiated by conventional high explosives instead of the typical fission initiators. The main benefit is that the resulting event is free of radioactive fallout.  Coincidentally, the subject of pure fusion also popped up on the Unwanted Blog. Like R2K, I feel a lot of the ideas presented on Monster Machine may be closer to sci-fi than reality, but I'm not necessarily one to make that judgement. In any event, I found the cited post quite entertaining.

Finally, I'll end with a photo of rocket girl Mary Tyler Moore, circa 1961. Enjoy!

Mary Tyler Moore 1961