Weather: scattered clouds, mid-80's, wind 0-5 mph
Total flights: Today - 11; YTD - 66
Total motors: Today - 16; YTD - 80
Motors by class YTD: MMX - 6; A - 5; B - 5; C - 29; D - 6; E - 18; F -4; G - 7
This was my first launch at the new launch site. It is a pretty nice sized field. The range head was at the top of a hill that gave a good view of the entire range. The range head is near a stand of trees, which is OK as long as the wind is in a favorable direction. The tree line ahead was quite far away and shouldn't ever be a problem. Today, the wind was generally cross-range. This took several models into some low corn. Launching from the high ground made it quite easy to see where the rocket went. This, of course, will not be as good when the corn is long.
My thanks to Mark Wise for running the launch and to Tom Ha for the use of his rail launcher.
- Estes Ventris on a F52-4 - This was a fast, high flight. Ejection was a bit late. I don't know if I really want to feed this rocket a G64. Only under very calm conditions!
- First Flight Under Dawg staged E12-0/C11-5 - Nice high flight.
- Thoy Snipe on 3xE12-6 - These are good motors for this rocket. More punch than an E9 and, unless you have your stopwatch out, it would be hard to discern the difference in burn times.
- Mirror Image on an E12-4 - Good slow flight. It separated but there wasn't any damage (other than the cord).
- Lime Stiletto on an E12-6 - Great flight!
- Lime Stiletto on a C11-3 - Low and slow(er).
- FlisKits Deuces Wild! on 2 x B6-4 - Great flight. The 'chute didn't open but the landing was soft.
- FlisKits Deuces Wild! on 2 x QC6-3 - One motor looked like it ignited late. The rocket took an unfavorable path and was lost to the trees behind us.
- SpaceShipSqrt (-1) on a C11-3 - Nice flight with a slow roll.
- NCR Big Brute on a G64-5 - Really nice flight. I haven't heard a G64 from this close in a while and was surprised how loud it was.
- Hat of Death on a D11-P - My thanks to Tom Ha for swapping the motor for a D12-5. This was an anemic flight, but everyone seemed to like it anyway. I offered up a G75MS, but the idea of a sparky didn't set well with the launch mangers.
|Landed right at the edge of the corn.|
|View from the left of the range head.|
|Moving counter clockwise...|
|View in front of the range head. The darker green is the corn.|
|The view behind the range head. Note the rocket-eating trees!|
|1st flight of the Deuces Wild|
|2nd flight of the Deuces Wild|