Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Guns and booms, what's not to like?

Today's Notes from the Technology Underground includes a report on the Idaho Boomershoot! 2006. This event involves people target shooting with high power rifles and from distances of up to 700 yards. The twist is that the targets are reactive (that's where the boom! comes in). The web site is packed with interesting stuff. I recommend the video journal, which gives a nice overview of the shoot.

BTW, it does appear that the explosives are manufactured, stored, and controlled by a BATFE licensed person. However, it doesn't appear you need a license to shoot the explosives :)

3 comments:

  1. Correct. I have an ATF license to manufacture HE. The shooters never handle the material so they don't need a license.

    Thanks for the links!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome for the links!

    I saw on your site where you are licensed and all. Your magazine is enough to make any high power rocketeer jealous.

    I took note since we rocketeers are embroiled in litigation with the BATFE regarding Ammonium Perchlorate Composite Propellant (APCP), which in our opinion does not belong on the explosives list. Long story, but if you're interested you can search my blog for 'litigation' and related terms and follow the links.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The loan on the construction of the magazine wouldn't make them jealous!

    I am aware of the issues between the ATF and the rocket people and you have my sympathy. In my teen age years built and launched quite a few rockets.

    I have my own issues with the ATF regarding my explosives but chose to play by the rules even if I disagree with them. I have more important battles to fight and have a better chance of winning them.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete